If you’re working with an HOA management company, your board is trusting your manager to know the ropes of the industry and provide you with the most value. With all of the demands of running an association—such as preparing reserve studies, keeping up with new laws, scheduling annual meetings, and juggling resources—it can be a relief to have a property management company take over some of the responsibilities.
However, how can you know for sure that your manager is doing his or her job and providing you with accurate information? You want to assume that an HOA management company has the best of intentions, and that is often the case; however, it’s important to be sure that you are receiving the highest quality your community deserves.
Evaluating Your Current HOA Manager
Here are some important questions for your board of directors to consider about your current manager:
- Are you receiving contradicting information/advice from your accountant, attorney, or another expert you work with?
- Is your HOA manager asking enough questions about your association’s history? Have they reviewed important information, such as minutes from your past meetings?
- Do they proactively answer questions from board members and seek out answers if they are unsure?
- Is the manager meeting deadlines appropriately, keeping up with communications, and remembering crucial information for running the association?
- Are you able to get in touch with your manager at reasonable times (or at least someone within the management company if they are away)?
- Is the manager staying involved and active in your community?
- Do they listen to the needs of your members and follow through with requests?
Reconsidering Your HOA Management
If any of these questions make you question whether the needs are being met by your current HOA manager, you might need to schedule a time with them to express your concerns and areas for improvement. You might need to either be assigned a different manager within the company or look for a new HOA management company.
Cedar Management Group provides the best in HOA management to homeowners associations in Charlotte and surrounding areas. If your association is looking for a quality manager to fit the needs or your community and members, contact Cedar today.